JOHNNY TOWNSEND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Early STB Concert

Go down

Early STB Concert Empty Early STB Concert

Post  burks954 Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 pm

I remember going to a concert in 1976-77 where the Sanford-Townsend Band opened for Dion (yes, of Dion and the Belmonts). Seems to me it was at The Roxy in LA and I would have been about 16. I'm not sure how I got in (fake ID) and I recall it being on a weeknight. I collect records from the 50s and 60s (started in high school) so I was really there to see Dion.

STB were truly amazing and the venue really played to their strengths. We were sitting in (maybe) the first row, certainly no further back than a couple - or perhaps there were tables set up cabaret style? I realized from the first note they are musicians, songwriters and performers. I have carried the memory of that performance with me since then (what, 35 years?). I can still see it in my minds eye and hear it: the black grand piano, flute solo on Oriental Gate, amazing vocals on In For The Night. I was mezmerized.

It sure would be interesting to know if there is a back story on that concert. Opening for Dion. Really? That was around the time of the first release, so were they in town for album launch, specifically, and even more fun if Johnny reads this and can comment on it. He might remember it another way - and that's okay. He was definitly "hitting on two and four" that night.

Funny thing. I don't remember Dion.

burks954

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum